Movies for help and example files

I'm new to this and have downloaded the Pro trial vers. and are about to print out the tutorials in pdf to read because it's not easy enough for me to follow on the screen.

Have you been thinking about making some movies to watch for learning and also some example files to download and use?

I have to say that it's VERY VERY hard to figure out how to use this software following the tutorials, sorry. :-(

I really hope that there soon will be some movies to watch? And would like if you make them for PHP. :-)

tinem,

Sorry if I've missed a few of your questions. Today, version 4 is now what you see on the site; both for the downloads and for the documentation and tutorials.

We've discontinued the pdf versions of the tutorials because we've decided that printing out the Web pages should give you the same results as printing pdfs. Also, pdfs are not easy to keep updated with the site.

You can have both 3.0 and 4.0 on you machine at the same time and each will have their own 30 day trial period. Read here for instructions on how to install multiple instances on one machine.

I hope I've covered all your question from your last post. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Scott

My trial for vers. 3 will expire 8 February. Can I have BOTH this and the new vers. 4 on the same computer and will I have 30 days for vers. 4?

What about this question:
Until now I have only downloaded and printed out tutorial 1 incl. PrintScreens for vers. 3 but I understand that there will be a new vers. 4 soon and that you will make new tutorials

I can't find the pdf-files for the tutorial anymore- have you deleted them?

tinem,

Yes. There will be a trial for version 4. Don't post it on the Internet or nothin' but we're fixin' to do a quiet release today. That is, the new download will be version 4 we just won't send up the balloons for a little bit later.

Subscribe to our newsletter on blog.screen-scraper.com to stay informed.

-Scott

Until now I have only downloaded and printed out tutorial 1 incl. PrintScreens for vers. 3 but I understand that there will be a new vers. 4 soon and that you will make new tutorials so should I wait for this and will there be a trial possibility for vers. 4 too?

Tinem,

I'm sorry if your requests won't be available immediately as we're involved with many changes for the 4.0 roll-out. But your feedback is timely and we'll see what we can implement in the time that we have.

You have another good suggestion. At the beginning of each tutorial, as part of the download, why don't we include a printable version of the tutorial along with the sample code that is indicated to be sample code so as not to get confused with your working version? I'll add that to the request list.

We strongly recommend that you go with Interpretive Java. We've had mixed results with using VBScript but make it available as an alternative for those that want it.

Thanks,
Scott

Would it be possible that YOU could make a zip-file for downloading with ALL the files and with example in front so we don't mix them with our own examples?

I have xp pro and know a little about javascript and php what should I then choose vbscript or interpreted_java?

tinem,

Example files are available at the beginning of each of the tutorials. You have the option of downloading each example scraping session complete before you begin to use as a reference while you go along. Perhaps it would make sense to label elements in the example sessions as examples so that the session you build won't over-write the example. Allowing you to build your own along side the example.

I suppose the best approach to the images being too small to see when printed would be to have a "print ready" link for each page where the images would be displayed full-size. Or, each page would simply always be print-ready.

We're revising our tutorials at the moment and we'll take your feedback in to consideration.

Thanks for your feedback,
Scott

What about my questions about example files?

Another thing I will mention is that when you print out the tutorials the PrintScreen images is impossible to see so it would be nice if you could make a better/bigger PrintScreen of these.

I had to print them out seperate.

tinem,

Yes, we have looked in to providing tutorials in movie form. Unfortunately, we just don't have the time and resources to put them together at the moment.

Please stay tuned as we hope some time soon they will be available.

Thank you,
Scott