External jar files

(Hit submit, didn't see the post, hoping this isn't a latent dupe)

I have some very simple scripting functions that I'd like to place in an external jar file. It would make scripting a lot easier in many cases, and I'm guessing it's possible it'd run faster, as well?

Here's the problem: I don't know what I'm doing.

:)

I'm learning a lot about java and the scripts in screen-scraper, but I'm not a java developer. What I really want is a sample file I can insert my own little functions in, and then explicit directions on how to build it. I know that once that code gets compiled/jar'd I just drop it in the lib directory, and I understand how to call it. It's just building it I'm at a a loss.

Do you folks at screen-scraper.com have any sites you would point to as a good example of this process?

External jar files

fnirt,

You're certainly able to create your own Java libraries and reference them within your scraping sessions. A link to the documentation on how to go about this is below but the short of it is that you'll place your compiled jar files into the screen-scraper install folder in "lib\ext", then you'll reference them from within a given script using the "import" statement that would look something like:

import com.foo.bar.*;

Look under the "Working with external Java libraries" section here.

Please let us know if you have any issues.

As for resources for learning Java we'd recommend Sun's own tutorials and documentation; as well as, Bruce Eckel's free online book [url=http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/]"Thinking in Java"[/url].

Thanks,
Scott