Server only accessable when user logged in???

I have Screen Scraper running as a service, being used by a PHP application and webserver - all on the same box.

When I access via browser from another machine, it works fine as long as the administrator is logged into the server. If he logs out, the application just hangs and times out (on the $session = new RemoteScrapingSession; in the php script).

Also, when the administrator logs in, he has to to do a stop and start on the screen scraper server before it will work (application times out on $session = new RemoteScrapingSession; in the php script if he doesn't).

I need this web app to access the Screen Scraper server when nobody is logged into the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris
Technical Consultant
John Hancock/Manulife Financial

Server only accessable when user logged in???

Hi Chris,

If I understand the workings of Windows correctly, when a user logs out of a machine, any processes started under that user's account will be killed. My guess is that you have your web server starting up under the System account, which may be why it remains alive even when you log off of the machine.

I'm no expert in Windows system administration, but I wonder if it might resolve the issue by setting the screen-scraper service to "Automatic" instead of "Manual". It looks like this can be done via the "Services" control panel applet (under the "Administrative Tools" folder). If you right-click the screen-scraper service, then select "Properties", you can change the "Startup type" to "Automatic".

Would you like to try that, and see if it resolves the issue?

Kind regards,

Todd Wilson