Multiple Server Instances

It appears possible to have multiple instances of the server on one machine -- but can they each have their own database?

We have one machine which is a staging AND a production box with a different web server instance/environment for each. We'd like a database of scrapes for staging and then when they're QA'd, we'd like to move those scrapes up to production.

Right now it looks like all instances of SS on one box point to the same database.

Are there any official recommendations for something like this?

Ran through it and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

Ah, you're absolutely right. That was on oversight. I've just added instructions on that to our FAQ here

http//www.screen-scraper.com/support/faq/faq.php#MultipleInstances

Would you mind reading through that and trying it out to see if it does the trick?

Thanks much,

Todd

Nope, I think you nailed it. I was assuming you'd have one install of the software and it would manage multiple databases, but installing ss in a different directory and having it be completely separate clears it all up!

(As long as I got that right, that is! :) )

Ooooooooooooops. I was wrong.

I have two instances and two databases and all is wonderful and well. But what about the Windows service? Should there be two of them? I'd assumed the server start and stop scripts in each directory would do it, but only one seems to work. The other says the specified service doesn't exist.

Hi,

I'll see if I can use just the right buzzwords on this one :)

When you have multiple instances installed on a machine, they're completely independent from one another (assuming you've set them up with different ports, as described in our FAQ: [url]http://www.screen-scraper.com/support/faq/faq.php#MultipleInstances[/url]). This would include the workbench and the server.

Let's suppose you have a dev instance and a prod instance of screen-scraper installed on the same machine. You've set them up using different ports so that they won't conflict with one another. If you launch the workbench for the dev instance, you could also launch the workbench for the prod instance at the same time. They both have independent databases holding independent sets of scraping sessions, scripts, etc. You can freely modify objects in the dev instance without altering anything at all in the prod instance. Once it comes time to deploy from dev to prod, the cleanest way to do this would be to simply export the scraping sessions you'd like to deploy from dev, then drop them into the "import" folder in the prod instance. This approach has a few advantages. One is that you can put the exported XML files into a versioning system (e.g., CVS or Subversion), so that they get backed up and tracked. The second is that when you copy them into the "import" folder of the prod instance, you don't need to restart prod in order to make them active. The first time a scraping session is invoked on prod, screen-scraper will check the "import" folder, find the scraping sessions, hot swap them in, then use the new versions.

That was a pretty long-winded response, but how'd I do? Can I clarify anything on it?

Best,

Todd

I'm just getting back to this now, finally.

I'm trying to understand the mechanics of running two databases. The GUI client will only interface with one of them, is that true? If so, how do you manage your scrapes?

This is for a deployment progression. That is, we have a staging server with one set of scrapes, and once it's tested we want to copy all/only those scrapes up to the production server. Licensing issues aside, we'd love to have both instances on the same box, thus the need for the dual server.

I think I'm just being a little dense on the concept, need it explained to me like I'm a corporate CTO. You know, small, simple buzzwords. :)

Hi,

We actually use similar configurations all the time. You can have as many independent instances of screen-scraper on a machine as you'd like. They all will have separate databases. Here's a FAQ on that:

http://www.screen-scraper.com/support/faq/faq.php#MultipleInstances

Feel free to post a reply if I can fill in any other details.

Kind regards,

Todd Wilson