SQL errors with Linux install and how to get around it

Hi,

I've been trying to install the screen scraper server on a new linux server using this tar ball:

http://www.screen-scraper.com/install/professional/lin/ss_pro_lin.tgz

I unzip it to /usr/local/screen-scraper and I "chown" the permissions to a user with full OS permissions. I start up the server and it runs for a little while, but then dumps the trace at the bottom of this post into error.log.

I have also tried updating the server with:

http://www.screen-scraper.com/screen-scraper/updates/2.5.0.14a/update.zip

I also happen to be running jboss 3.2.7 on the same box. Given the error has "hsqldb" in it and I happen to know that jboss runs hsqldb as well, I decided to stop jboss and try starting screen scraper again. It worked!

I started jboss up and it worked fine too. I hope this helps someone else!

cheers

~luke

TRACE:

[size=9]An error occurred while executing the SQL statement. The error was Database does not exists in statement [ss_server].
java.sql.SQLException: Database does not exists in statement [ss_server]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at com.screenscraper.util.DataMain.getConnection(DataMain.java:79)
at com.screenscraper.util.DataMain.executeSelect(DataMain.java:231)
at com.screenscraper.util.DataMain.executeSelect(DataMain.java:248)
at com.screenscraper.data.DScrapingSession.getLE(DScrapingSession.java:909)
at com.screenscraper.business.BScrapingSession.getLE(BScrapingSession.java:656)
at com.screenscraper.util.General.validate(General.java:1699)
at com.screenscraper.scraper.ScrapingServer.(ScrapingServer.java:53)
at com.screenscraper.controller.ControllerMain.startServers(ControllerMain.java:574)
at com.screenscraper.controller.ControllerMain.main(ControllerMain.java:506)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperStartStopApp.run(WrapperStartStopApp.java:159)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
[/size]

Hi Luke,

Thanks, that helps to narrow it down. My guess is that the hsqldb JBoss is running is simply conflicting with screen-scraper's. Fortunately, I think we have a solution that will resolve this. As of a recent pre-release version you can designate the port screen-scraper's database will listen on by adding a property to your "resource/conf/screen-scraper.properties" file like this

DatabasePort=9870

Try setting it to a port you know is free. If that still doesn't do the trick don't hesitate to post a reply.

Best,

Todd

I think I did. I installed it at the recommended /usr/local directory and the INSTALL says if I put it there there's nothing else to do (of course, having said that, it was 4am in the morning and I hadn't slept for 2 days).\

I'm happy to debug if You'd like. I upped trace to DEBUG in the config files but I never got more than the error listed in my original post.

I should point out it's working just fine. I just need to start screen-scraper before my jboss app.

cheers,

~luke

Hi Luke,

In that tarball there is an "INSTALL" file that contains instructions you'll need to follow to properly install screen-scraper. Because it's a manual installation you need to set a few paths manually so that screen-scraper can find its database and such. Did you get a chance to follow the instructions in that file? If so, and it still doesn't work, please feel free to post a reply.

Kind regards,

Todd Wilson