java.lang.NullPointerException with asp example in tutorial

I am running the last part of the second tutorial, trying to get the asp to run.

This first line of code runs:
Set objRemoteSession = Server.CreateObject("Screenscraper.RemoteScrapingSession")

The second line of code:
Call objRemoteSession.Initialize("Hello World")
returns the following error:
java.lang.NullPointerException

The server is running, and the prior tutorial steps have worked perfectly.

Also, FWIW, I don't see an icon in the tray when the server is running.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sounds great, Cathy. Some day you'll have to teach us some of that magic ) Please feel free to post again if we can help with anything else.

Best,

Todd

Hi Todd,

You are right. I went back and set it to null and it made no difference. Must have been magic that fixed it!

Best regards,
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Well, I'm glad for your success, but I think this all may not be quite right. The default proxy session in the Settings dialog box is related to a very rarely used feature of screen-scraper that allows you to modify HTTP requests and responses on the fly. Is this what you're trying to do?

Based on your earlier messages it sounds like you're simply wanting to complete the second tutorial. If this is the case you just need to have the "Hello World" scraping session in screen-scraper, then start screen-scraper running as a server. They proxy server should only come into play when you're creating scraping sessions.

I'm not sure if I've helped much, but feel free to provide more detail so that I can be of better assistance.

Best,

Todd

HOORAY HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured it out!!!!!!!

In playing with proxy settings in IE and thinking it might be a conflict with IIS (but I had checked that out a while ago) and resetting the ports for the server, I noticed in the menu box on the workbench for "general settings" a little drop down that asks for the default proxy session - duh!!!!! It was set to null. I don't know if you ship with it set to null, or if it went there when I added a different session called "experiment", but when I actually pointed it to a session, voila! it was fixed! So, I am off to the races!!!

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Cathy

Todd,

Running with Norton turned off completely, there is no difference. Also, there is NO entry in the error log for the error. The message given by mozilla says "The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy server you have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try again". Is there a way to turn on diagnostic messages in Firefox? I haven't tried using IE to the proxy. Maybe I will do that next to see if I get a more informative message.

The thing I don't get is why I can reach the proxy if I start it from the workbench, but not when I start it from the batch prompt. Very strange.

Let me know what else would help you get to the bottom of this.

Best,
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

It seems like we're making progress. Just to narrow down the problem, would it be possible to disable Norton entirely temporarily just to see if it truly is the culprit? If we can identify it as the source of the issue it seems like it will be easier to narrow in on configuring Norton so that it plays nicely with screen-scraper. Also, I don't believe SQL Server would be conflicting, but if disabling Norton doesn't do the trick you might try shutting SQL Server down temporarily to see if it helps the situation.

Best,

Todd

Hi Guest-S,

I had no problem with the system until I hit this snag with ASP at the end of the second tutorial. The FAQs on the screen-scraper site contain solutions to things that came up as I worked, and all the "fixes" (e.g. installing updated versions of things, setting parameters correctly in Windows, etc.) worked like a charm. Have you tried the FAQs?

Best,
Cathy

I am running a SQL server too - could that be creating a conflict? (just a wild guess)

I added 5001, and Norton is not standing in the way any more, but I still can't access the server. Hmmmmm.

I disconnected from ISP, turned off Norton worm protection, and I still can't reach the proxy. I can reach my local IIS directly. Hmmmmm.

It still works fine (I can reach the proxy) when I turn the server on from the workbench.

I added access for the ports you listed, and I now get the icon, but screen-scraper seems to be accessing port 5001, which is still blocked by Norton, and I still can't reach the server. Does port 5001 sound correct?

Thanks! Cathy

Hi Cathy,

This all makes sense now. Norton seems to be blocking screen-scraper's request to open ports on your system. When the screen-scraper server starts it needs to have access to a few ports on your system so that it can service incoming requests. By default, those ports are 8777, 8778, 8779, and 9005. If you could adjust Norton's settings so that it allows for that I'm guessing it would work.

Best,

Todd

Hi Cathy,

The error message you give would seem to indicate that you're invoking a script that makes use of the "session" variable, by clicking on the "Run" button in the main script window. If this is the case it will fail because the "session" variable is only in scope in the context of a running scraping session (see this FAQ for more http//www.screen-scraper.com/support/faq/faq.php#ScopeScriptError).

Could you give more detail on the steps you're taking? Here's what I think you should be doing to invoke screen-scraper from an ASP script

1. Ensure all instances of screen-scraper are closed (server or workbench).
2. Start screen-scraper as a server by selecting "Start server" from the Windows Start menu.
3. Execute your ASP script.

Thanks in advance for any other details you can offer.

Kind regards,

Todd

Hi Todd,

I accidentally posted the above as "Guest". Thank you for replying to my post. I hope that what I supplied above helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for you help.

Best,
Cathy Smith

Hi,

Thanks for the posting. Here are some bits of information that may help resolve the issue

- What operating system are you running?
- When you start the server and look under the "Task Manager" do you see a "java.exe" or "javaw.exe" process under the "Processes" tab?
- In the folder where you have screen-scraper installed there is a "log" folder. Does the "error.log" file contain anything? Is there a log file corresponding to the "Hello World" scraping session?

Thanks,

Todd Wilson